We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Disney World – Epcot- Spaceship Earth
What can I say about Spaceship earth! This is one of my all time favorite rides at Epcot. I love it. I am so sad Spaceship Earth will be closed for nearly two years – however, I am super excited about the refurb. I would have to say that this is a truly iconic ride at Epcot! Sometimes it’s referred to as the giant golf ball, and I get why you would call it that ! Space Ship Earth is where you can travel through time and explore stone age to computer age.
Spaceship Earth will close early 2020 and reopen 2022 in time for the 40th Anniversary celebrations.
As you enter Epcot the first thing you see is Spaceship Earth which encapsulates what Epcot is all about, the Earth. This ball is as iconic as Cinderella Castles at Magic Kingdom.
- Spaceship Earth opened October 1982.
- The ride lasts aprx 16 minutes.
- Spaceship Earth comprises of 11,324 making this a distinctive shape & is aprx 180ft tall, it weighs aprx 16,000,000 pounds and all this is supported on 6 legs.
- Water nearly never drips off this iconic shape. Spaceship Earth’s drainage system absorbs rainwater into gutters and then funnels run off through underground channels all the way out to World Showcase Lagoon.
- More people ride this ride then any other WDW ride – how amazing is that ?
- There are 5 hidden Mickeys in this ride! Let me know if you have found them!
The Future of Spaceship Earth.
Whilst I, like most of you will be sad that Spaceship Earth will be closed for 2 years. I really do think this will be amazing when it opens. Do you think we will have a new narrator – Dame Judi Dench is THE voice of Spaceship Earth – whilst I don’t know the specifics of what is coming. I am sure that whatever Disney decides, it will be truly magical & I can’t wait.
I will report back on any new findings that I hear of.