We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
An Introduction to Disney’s Skyliner.
Now, Disney has the most fantastic transportation system already at WDW, from ferry boats to buses to monorails & Minnie Vans – well now Disney has introduced The Skyliner.
The Skyliner is a great addition and is a fun way to get around the parks.
Things to know about the Skyliner.
- Disney’s new transportation
- Cute gondolas
- Brightly colored gondolas, some have Disney Characters on them.
- These soar high above the trees to connect 4 resorts and 2 parks.
- There are 5 stations in total – 2 at parks and 3 at resorts
Art of Animation
Caribbean Beach (this station is a ‘hub’ this is where all the lines meet and you switch for either Epcot or Hollywood Studio.)
Hollywood Studio (front of the park)
Epcot (International Gateway)
These stations all look great and fit it…. to the extent of you wouldn’t know they have just opened.
The Gondola cars are so well themed they are brightly colored and some are wrapped with characters on. They are really cute.
Each gondola can hold up to 10 people – or 6 if a wheel chair or stroller is in the gondola car.
If you are a walk on you will board a slow moving gondola car ( a little bit like The Sea Finding Nemo) if you are boarding with a wheelchair or stroller you will be directed to an area where you will board a stationary gondola car.
Now I know this has been a topic for hot conversation. “Do the Gondolas have air conditioning?” and in a word the answer is “No!” the gondolas have window vents and rely on “passive ventilation system” this allows a breeze to pass around the car.
How does this work? Well, in theory as long as the gondola is moving..air will pass around the car keeping the temperature quite comfortable however, if the cars stops for any amount of time the temperature within the car will rise quite quickly.
Is this something to worry about ? No air conditioning in a gondola car? I think that Disney will have thought about this long and hard and while temperatures do soar as long as this car is moving you will be fine and there are other attractions at Disney – like the people mover that don’t have air con and they work just fine. I would say if you are worried or travelling when the temperatures are high you could reroute yourself to avoid the gondola cars or carry a hand held portable fan that you can use if a car stops for any reason.
Please note that there is some slight swaying from these gondola cars – however, I would say overall that this is a smooth ride. If you are prone to motion sickness and ride the gondola car I would recommend facing forward.
A journey on the Skyliner Gondola can vary and take anything from 3-12 mins depending on what route you are taking, here are some aprx times.
- Caribbean Beach – Pop Century/Art or Animation aprx 3-5 mins.
- Caribbean Beach – Epcot (International Gateway) aprx 12 mins.
- Caribbean Beach – Hollywood Studio – aprx 5 mins.
Operating Times of Gondolas
The times for the Gondolas can vary depending on park opening times normally they operate between 730am-830am going to 10 or 11 pm. Disney may vary the times doing busy periods so it it worth checking. Also, bear in mind that the Skyliner Gondolas won’t operate if there are any signs of inclement weather in the area.
I would also have a different route planned if you have an ADR booked or you want to get to Hollywood Studio or Epcot for rope drop.
The Last Thing you need to know about Riding the SkyLiner.
- If you get motion sickness but want to ride the gondola car for experience sit forward facing.
- Take a hand held fan with you in case the gondola car stops temporailiy.
- Inclement weather may stop the gondola cars from running. (This can happen with any of the Disney Transportation)
- Anyone can ride the SkyLiner.
- Food and drink may be taken on it.
- There are emergency call boxes located in each gondola car.